Skip to main content

Antiwar.com


I have never heard of Antiwar.com, and after briefly reading through the website and articles, I was very intrigued. This website pointed out viewpoints and ideas I have never really thought of before. For example, I did not know that the American Military has killed more foreign civilians than any other military force since dropping the two nuclear bombs in Japan in 1945.



The article I read first talked about how no one cared about Syrian civilian's deaths until now. in 2014, you would never hear about the deaths of these Syrians, but now it is on mainstream media. The mainstream media say that all these deaths are by the IS, Russian airstrikes or the Syrian Government forces, but remain silent when the US is responsible for casualties. According to the article, in 2017 the US was killing more civilians in Syria than IS, Russia and Syrian forces.

This is information I had no idea about. I think I am ignorant, and don't want to know about war and what goes on. It is horrible, and I am just now starting to open my eyes and want to know about what is going on overseas to our troops and civilians. I almost feel like the US has been at war for so long, I do not even know for what. All I know is there is a war on terrorism and that I have friends and family in the military. That is all I know. I know 9/11 sparked war and that our country is constantly under attack and that the world seems to hate us.

The article talks about human right organizations like the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and how they publish daily the casualties. I have never even heard the the SOHR before. The number of deaths from US led offensive to liberate them is staggering. And just like the article said, media was not reporting this, and I had no idea. Most Americans have no idea.

Why? the article talks about the sentiment that America is the good guys. I always have thought this. I almost feel un-American to question military involvement.

Self censorship also plays a role here, according to the article. Journalists who ask too many tough questions do not do well.

I now have an interest in knowing what is going on with war. I just sort of sit back and accept what has been on the news and I will try to better inform and better educate myself. War is terrible and there is no gain from it, and there are terrible evils in this world. I am just not sure if war is inevitable with the world we live in.

Maddy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mass Media, Echo Chambers, Theories

People's trust has gone in mass media has gone down in the last decade, according to an in class presentation, only 4 percent of people see an increase in trust in their mass media outlets. Mass media like CNN or FoxNews have their own agenda and own bias, and people know this. CNN i have head be referred to as "Clinton News Network" and people associate FoxNews as a conservative news outlets. Echo Chamber was mentioned in class as well. Echo chambers make it difficult to distinguish fact from fiction, which is super prevalent today. With disinformation, the act of deliberately lying to sway opinion and establish a bias, it is really hard to distinguish  what is fact and what is not. Reliable sources are also a tricky subject. What is even reliable anymore? Are anonymous sources even reliable? Are there bias sources? In some articles, unnamed sources are uses...hmm...how reliable (said no one ever). Something i heard that made me actually nervous is the Illuso

Facebook...Yikes

A did a quick Google search for Facebook, and there it is: Fake News. 2 days ago, 1 day ago, 3 hours ago and even 20 minutes ago, articles about Facebook and Fake News pops up. I read an article on the Washington Post titled, "I fell for fake news. Here's why millions of you did too." The article showed a dramatic and honestly gut wrenching video of a commercial air plane swerving and flipping in the air. Well, the video is fake. It is computer generated video by artist Aristomenis Tsirbas. The video found itself gaining over 14 million views on Facebook. I tried to link the Facebook Video, but the link has expired...(question, did Facebook make them take the video down?) The artist posts clips of CGI on Youtube, and some clips make its way to Facebook by reposters. Many of these go viral because of shock value, and the clips are just that believable. Tsibar has worked on the "Titanic" film and "Star Trek", so his work is just insane. I mea